Subway Domer has retired (and Twittermania with him), which means we have a 140-character-sized void in the blogosphere. Fear not, Loyal Readers, for behold: I bring you good tidings of great joy. Each week during the second half of the season, we will present:
- Brick Helmet Stickers
- #HLSrecap MVP
- #HLSrecap Top 25
First, the qualitative awards, brought to you by our very own Athletic Director, @FakeSwarbrick. Take it away, sir!
Brick Helmet Stickers
Unlike other paths to Twitter immortality, the idea behind the Brick Helmet Stickers is to recognize an entire body of work throughout a game. It’s one thing to come up with a single zinger but it’s quite another to put together four solid quarters (and maybe OT) of joy, angst, paranoia, rage, suicidal ideations – or in the case of Notre Dame fans, all of the above.
Having said that, it IS possible to earn a sticker with one particular tweet of greatness – and we have an example this week.
So Ladies and Gentlemen, it is with great pride that Her Loyal Sons rolls out the first official version of Brick Helmet Stickers.
1. Every time I see @Dixie_Domer and His Beard on ESPN College Gameday or on the JumboTron at JerryWorld, it makes me feel like I’m not doing enough for Notre Dame. And that’s why @Dixie_Domer and His Beard (not to be confused with the country western band @Dixie_Domer and His Soul Patch) get a sticker this week – one glorious tweet. Because if that man is anywhere close to a national television audience you can be damn sure he will be repping Notre Dame like a champion – this time on the JumboTron, which is a stupid thing to put in a football stadium but whatever. And he also got smashed in front of a child which was, under the circumstances, entirely appropriate.
2. DISCLAIMER: I don’t want to encourage alcoholism. But it doesn’t change the fact that the more she drinks, the funnier @PDXIrish gets. She’s one of the few people who after reading a tweet I think to myself, “Damn I wish I had thought of that.” Last week was another quality effort even though she was stuck at a class reunion AND had an strange fixation on Coach Kelly’s nipples. (Ok. We all were fixated.) Anyway, Nina, you need to keep up the great work and I swear we’ll get you into a program as soon as the season ends.
3. This one is painful. This guy only communicates in profanity and caps lock, and would troll his grandmother on her deathbed. He is a world-class dickwad but dammit, he’s our world-class dickwad. He had a good game so….I can’t believe I’m doing this….@Irishfootball11 gets a helmet sticker THAT I WIPED MY ASS WITH FIRST SO CHOKE ON IT JARED.
4. And now to prove that the only standard for making this list is that there is NO standard, @LluckoftheIrish gets a sticker this week for dropping a rare and well timed f-bomb which both shocked and aroused the timelines of her followers. Molly gave us four quality quarters of positive insights and double entendres (she loves sacks, guys…just ask her). And I don’t see how any of you could have made up your minds about the Shamrock Series unis without getting Molly’s take. Also her red skinny jeans were hot.
5. “Up 3 with over 3 is a shitty spot to be.” The poetic musings of one @SupermanTDJesus are not to be missed. This is the guy who, when you see him screaming at the TV in a bar, you think should be thrown out. Unless you are at his table, in which case you think he’s the most awesomely hilarious dude you know and wouldn’t dream of watching the game without him.
6. I’ve followed @CourtMarek for a while now because she’s kinda funny and occassionally has something interesting to say. But in the off-season she must have reached Twitter puberty because her tweets are en fuego. She only has 180 followers and the rest of you are suckers for not getting in on this. Another SOLID effort, Courtney. I can’t imagine what it would be like if you added more alcohol (check with Nina).
7. And finally, @TheSubwayDomer. Because.
Now, onto the quantitative measures. This is just as it sounds — whoever has the most number of tweets that make the final cut will be awarded the #HLSrecap MVP Award, presented by (SPONSOR OPPORTUNITY ALERT!).
Does anyone else think the new Brick Helmet Stickers had something to do with this? Yeah, me neither…you gotta give some to get some.
Your past 2013 #HLSrecap MVPs are as follows:
- Oklahoma: @SupermanTDJesus (12)
- Michigan State: @PDXirish (11)
- Purdue: @PDXirish and @HLS_NDtex (16 each)
- Michigan: @HLS_NDtex (12)
- Temple: @HLS_BayouIrish (9)
#HLSrecap Top 25
You may recall feathers were ruffled a few months ago with the #HLSrecap Preseason Rankings, but we didn’t really do anything with it beyond that (hint: don’t bother searching for Week 2-5 rankings…they don’t exist). Now we’re back to add some measurable(-ish) data. @andrewwinn has stepped up in a big way and has counted every #HLSrecap tweet this year. He awards one point for each tweet that makes it in; 1/2 point if someone else retweets/quotes/modifies your tweet and it’s included.
But because every poll needs some subjectivity, we’ll also incorporate data from the Twitter Ranking Of Leprechaun Legion (T.R.O.L.L.) Scale. How are those points distributed? It’s completely arbitrary. This week, @theSubwayDomer is awarded 7 T.R.O.L.L. Points — 3 points for being the Godfather of Twitter rankings and 4 points for his recent retirement. And wouldn’t you know it? That vaults him over both @oaknd1 AND @PootND. Oh, T.R.O.L.L. Points, you and me are going to get along juuuust fine.
Here is your Week 6 #HLSrecap Top 25, with a link at the end to the complete data broken down by game.
Week 6 Rankings
Others receiving votes: @clashmore (13), @alx_west (12), @Dcare24 (12), @GoIrishGlory (12), @KSF3000 (12), @ndIRISHlc19 (12), @taxbastard (12).
Click here for the Complete Game-by-Game #HLSrecap Recap Appendix.
Errors, corrections, and omissions: Added column sorting capability.