Beginning in 2014, a playoff selection committee will determine which four college football teams play for the national title. Some are skeptical of the committee, so we — the Elvii of college football — have joined together to present our weekly playoff nominations. We call it the T.C.B. Poll.
Playoff Rankings: Week 12
Each week, the T.C.B. Poll is an aggregate of all our inputs. Scroll down to see individual selections and opinions. Images courtesy The Helmet Project.
Also receiving votes: Ohio State, Mississippi State, Baylor.
TCB Committee Member Comments
- Florida State – The defending national champs are the only unbeaten among the big conferences. That should place them at the top.
- Alabama – Nick Saban will have this team prepared to play in the playoffs
- Oregon – I want to see the Ducks and The Tide go head to head in the first playoff game
- Mississippi State – Tough loss on the road to Alabama. They win out then they should have a shot to play for the title in the playoffs.
On Deck: Ohio State, Baylor and TCU.
Every week, just more disappointment and heartbreak. The good guys keep losing and the bad guys keep winning. It’s enough to make a football Elvis turn to booze and pills. Thankfully, we have this poll as a reason to get up Monday mornings and put on the ol’ jumpsuit.
- Oregon – Kings of the bye week, the Ducks got to sit back and watch the other contenders lose or struggle.
- Alabama – If they can beat a reeling Auburn team at home in 2 weeks, they’ll win the SEC West, and likely advance into the playoffs after winning the SEC Championship.
- FSU – Pulled off another characteristic escape against what should be an inferior opponent. Boston College, Florida, and the ACC Coastal Champion are all that stand between this team and the playoffs.
- TCU – Struggled at Kansas, but it doesn’t matter. Unless Baylor beats OK State and Kansas State, the close Baylor head-to-head result doesn’t sway me.
5, 6, & 7 – Mississippi State, Ohio State, Baylor. The Bulldogs are out unless TCU continues to struggle and Baylor loses. Same situation for the Buckeyes, PLUS Mississippi State has to lose to Ole Miss. If Baylor wins out, I expect they’ll jump into TCU’s spot.
I truly feel for my Elvii brethren this week. But that’s why we have another game this week to chase out those demons from the last. Bye-bye Clanga from my Top 4. Out of respect for Auburn Elvis, I will keep Bama out of the top spot.
- Florida State – One of these days, they will run into a team that keeps a double-digit lead throughout the game.
- Alabama – Gets a bye week against Western Carolina.
- Oregon – Wisely chose not to play this week. The Pac-12 title is there for the taking.
- Baylor – Yep. I’m sticking with the Bears. They own the head-to-head against TCU and they didn’t almost lose to Kansas.
On deck: Ohio State, TCU, Mississippi State.
Here we all thought there would be a fight over 1-loss teams. There could be a BIG fight over 2-loss teams in a couple of weeks.
- Florida State – adios, MSU. Sole undefeated team needs the top spot, no matter how much I loathe their off-field activity or their first half boredom.
- Oregon – bumps up a spot. Don’t lose focus, Quacks.
- TCU – I’ll reward you for hanging on against an inferior team this week, if only because a 1st round spread offense playoff on New Year’s Day vs. 2-seed Oregon would be incredible to watch
- Alabama – toughest schedule to date, so they schedule a D-II opponent (note: it’s never the right time to schedule a D-II opponent). They have a good number of weapons in their arsenal, but they’ll need to avoid a loss in the coming weeks.
First 3 out: Ohio State, Mississippi State, Baylor.
The TCB Poll nailed all 4 teams again last week in advance of the Playoff Committee rankings, transposing only FSU & Oregon. With all the shuffling this week, it will be interesting to see what the Committee presents.