Beginning in 2014, a playoff selection committee will determine which four college football teams play for the national title. Some are skeptical of the committee, so we — the Elvii of college football — have joined together to present our weekly playoff nominations. We call it the T.C.B. Poll.
Playoff Rankings: 2014 Bowl Games
Each week, the T.C.B. Poll is an aggregate of all our inputs. Scroll down to see individual selections and opinions. Images courtesy The Helmet Project.
Also receiving votes: Baylor.
TCB Committee Member Comments
- Florida State
- Oregon – The only 1-loss team that got a do-over made the most of it.
- Alabama – Beating Mizzou like a drum means Bama’s easily the 5-or-6th-best team in the Big 10 East
- TCU – Sorry, Baylor, your best non-conference victory was Buffalo. And if this were the NFL Buffalo instead of the NCAA Buffalo, that would mean something.
- Florida State – If Ohio State had lost to any decent team on their schedule, I’d have no trouble putting the Buckeyes in over an undefeated FSU team that struggled with a weaker schedule (and considering OSU’s in the Big 10, that’s saying something.) But at the end of the day, barely beating 3 mediocre, ranked teams, and barely beating 6 not-very-good teams was all you needed to do. Congratulations.
- Florida State
- Florida State – I dislike just about everything about this team, but if you win all your games and don’t have a horrendous strength-of-schedule (FSU’s is ranked 37th — ahead of TCU, Ohio State, and Baylor), you should be rewarded with the top slot. The actual committee’s conundrum with teams 4-6 began when they demoted an undefeated and defending national champion out of the #1 spot, in my opinion.
- Oregon – Avenged their sole loss. It doesn’t always work this cleanly, but they made good on their opportunity to clear any remaining doubts.
- Alabama – a Bama/Oregon semifinal would be a fascinating clash of styles. Bring it on!
- Baylor -Conference co-champions? Let’s check the results on October 11…
Powered by SC schadenfreude, husband to Mrs. IrishElvis (not pictured), rabble rouser. TCB.
Latest posts by IrishElvis (see all)
- Opponent Watch: Seize A Weasel Edition - September 19, 2019
- I Compared Notre Dame and Georgia Using Advanced Statistics. What I Found May Surprise You - September 16, 2019
- Opponent Watch: Tomahawk Hope Edition - September 12, 2019