Beginning in 2014, a playoff selection committee will determine which four college football teams play for the national title. Some are skeptical of the committee, so we — the Elvii of college football — have joined together to present our weekly playoff nominations. We call it the T.C.B. Poll.
Playoff Rankings: Week 10
Each week, the T.C.B. Poll is an aggregate of all our inputs. Scroll down to see individual selections and opinions.
Also receiving votes: TCU, Michigan State.
TCB Committee Member Comments
- Mississippi State – Dak Prescott had an off week but that might motivate him more down the home stretch to keep the Bulldogs at the top
- Florida State – unless Florida or their opponent in the ACC championship game pull off a huge upset, FSU appears to be able to hold off and finish undefeated for the year
- Michigan State – I think they will beat Ohio State and the SEC west teams will all beat each other up and the Spartans will look good as a third seed
- Auburn – I think Auburn will win the Iron bowl and be put into the top 4…at least there will be a chance for one of our Elvii brothers to win a national title this year
The home stretch. All of the 1-loss and undefeated teams (well, except for Marshall) are making the final push towards the playoffs. The Rebels, Wildcats, and Utes are out. Who’ll be next?
- Mississippi State – They play UT-Martin this week, then Bama. If they beat Bama, they’ll likely win the SEC. So… no pressure, Bulldogs.
- Auburn (or Alabama) – If they keep winning against the nation’s toughest schedule, they’ll keep making the top-4.
- TCU (or Kansas State) – With no more above-.500 teams on the schedule, a TCU victory this week is all they’ll need to finish 11-1 & make the playoffs. Even if Kansas State wins, they still have to visit West Virginia and Baylor.
- Oregon – The Ducks look really good right now. Of course, they always look good… right until they lose unexpectedly to some Pac-12 team.
Nice wins boys! We finally had a weekend where nobody lost! Things are getting moderately clearer in the Hawkeye Elvis playoff picture, with things REALLY coming into focus after this coming Saturday. But for now…
- Mississippi State – I think it’s pretty clear that Arkansas is going to get SOMEONE. They darn near got Alabama and almost did the same to Clanga. I have the Bulldogs still on track for an SEC Title.
- Florida State – Every story is only as good as its villain. The Seminoles are this year’s bad guys. Another rally, another win. The rest of the country going to bed mad.
- Auburn – They are going to have to win out to stay in this spot and stay in the playoffs. One false move and Michigan State or Alabama step into this spot.
- Oregon – Welcome back quackers! Get through Utah and probably Arizona State and you get the last spot.
Auburn Elvis, enjoy your opponent this week while the rest of us have nail-biters.
- Mississippi State
- Florida State
I’m swapping out TCU for ND this week. Notre Dame alternated between dominance and inconsistency (the latter aided by in-game injuries) against Navy, whereas TCU looked inconsistent early but good enough late against West Virginia. TCU’s schedule strength to date pushes them up to my fourth slot.
I’m sure everyone at ESPN will electrocute me for saying this, but right about now the old BCS system of “#1 vs #2” seems like it would work just dandy this year. Of course, if either MSU or FSU stumble then we’ll be happy to have a four-team playoff.
Powered by SC schadenfreude, husband to Mrs. IrishElvis (not pictured), rabble rouser. TCB.