Beginning in 2014, a playoff selection committee will determine which four college football teams play for the national title. Some are skeptical of the committee, so we — the Elvii of college football — have joined together to present our weekly playoff nominations. We call it the T.C.B. Poll.
Playoff Rankings: Week 6
Each week, the T.C.B. Poll is an aggregate of all our inputs. Scroll down to see individual selections and opinions.
Also receiving votes: Ole Miss.
TCB Committee Member Comments
One of the King’s best gospel songs was “Crying in the Chapel” and there were quite a few football fans crying in their chapels of football glory on Saturday after a very exciting weekend…as for the LSU Elvis’ top 4 only Florida State remains and three new teams to add to the list. Should I include one ACC team and 3 teams from the SEC West???? Well these teams would all have to beat each other just once and have everyone else in the country lose as well. Will this happen? I don’t know but crazier things have happened in college football. Here is my top 4 for the week.
- Florida State – Sorry for moving you down a spot in my previous poll. You keep winning and I will keep putting you at Number one. In two weeks when my fellow Elvis Brother and the Irish play y’all will be quite the game.
- Mississippi State – they play host to Auburn and I think Dak Prescott is starting to remind a lot of people of Cam Newton – who won the Heisman and brought his team home a national title.
- Auburn – so the number 2 and 3 teams in the country beat my beloved LSU Tigers. One of these two will lose Saturday but the dream to still play in football playoff is not over. Slight edge to Mississippi State for two reasons – Cowbells and the birthplace of the King
- Ole Miss – Well Hotty Toddy – I never thought I would have the Rebel black bears in my top 4 but they have done it. They still have Auburn, Mississippi State and travel to LSU…..you get through that schedule with one loss or fewer then you can stay in the top 4 my friends.
- Auburn. It looks like their O-line reshuffling issues have normalized, and that spells trouble for opposing defenses. Auburn is the only team in America that could get through Auburn’s schedule.
- Mississippi State. Dang, these guys look good. If Auburn didn’t exist, I think THIS would be your eventual national champion.
- Baylor. I don’t actually think Baylor will win the Big 12, but I’m putting them here as a placeholder for either Oklahoma, or more likely… Kansas State.
- Notre- Ha, just kidding. FSU. I don’t think the Seminoles are one of the top four teams, or even that they’ll go undefeated. I just think Florida State is so lucky they’ll probably fall backwards into the playoffs on the final week after 3 teams ahead of them lose.
My Hawkeyes figured out a genius way not to lose this past Saturday: don’t play. As you might imagine, a big ‘ol hunka-hunka burnin’ shake-up in the Hawkeye Elvis Top 4:
- Florida State – Welcome back ‘Noles. Oh and that home game against the Irish is looking pretty big now.
- Auburn – Can these Tigers survive their trip to the Magnolia State?
- Mississippi State – Welcome to the TCB Top 4, Bulldogs. Let’s see if you can stay here more than a week.
- Baylor? – Sure why not. Their lackluster win over Texas aside who goes here? I can’t put a third team from the same division (let alone conference here). A spot will be open after this week anyway.
Oh, October College Football, how I have missed you. There’s blood everywhere in the TCB Top 4, but somehow I managed to carry over two teams from last week into my Top 4, mostly because I dropped Alabama some weeks back knowing the Lane Kiffin Effect would eventually strike.
- Florida State – C’mon back up to the top spot, defending champs! It’s entirely possible that no one is dominant this season.
- Auburn – Do we crown Auburn Elvis as “King Creole” because of his head-to-head victory over LSU Elvis last week?
- Ole Miss – Tough road game in College Station next week…let’s see if Dr. Bo is licensed to practice in the state of Texas.
- Baylor – Atrocious strength of schedule, and they host TCU after the Purple Frogs take down Oklahoma. I think they get it done this week, but they won’t last long in this slot. I think Auburn handles the Cowbells so I can’t very well put MSU here…
Astute fans may notice a certain team is curiously absent from my top 4, and they will remain a Devil In Disguise unless/until they find a way to win in Tallahassee on October 18. After that…well, we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it.