With the advent of the College Football Playoff, we — the Elvii of college football — have joined together to present our weekly playoff nominations to keep the selection committee honest. We call it the TCB Poll.
Playoff Rankings: Week 5 Results
Each week, the TCB Poll is an aggregate of all our inputs. Scroll down to see individual selections and opinions — this is how we’d like to see the College Football Playoff if we had to narrow the field *right now* to determine a national champion. Images courtesy The Helmet Project.
Also receiving votes: Ohio State.
TCB Committee Member Comments
Let’s just take a moment to bask in the futility that is Georgia Football… [inhale]… [exhale]… Yes. Delicious. We need to get us a Georgia Elvis in this thing. Hey, Readers. If any of you have a line on someone willing to A) dress as amazingly as we do on Saturdays, and B) admit they’re a Georgia fan right now, have them get in touch with us. Thankyouverymuch.
Now my Playoff Picks:
- Alabama (or maybe Texas A&M?) – The SEC may be down, but it’s still the Gold Standard in College Football, so its champion will get into the playoff.
- Michigan (or Ohio State) – Like the SEC, the Big 10 Champion will get in, and I think Michigan is a smarter pick… for now.
- Clemson (or Louisville) – Some idiots are saying the ACC may get TWO teams in, but I’m sorry, no way that happens. There are enough Committee members from Big 12/ Pac 12 country who will NOT suffer the indignity of two ACC teams in the playoffs at the expense of a decent Western team..
- Washington (or Houston) – Stanford wasn’t consistent enough so they blew their shot, and if Washington slips up too, only Houston stands in the way of a completely Eastern playoff field this year. But that’s what you get from a region where college football isn’t as important as hacky-sack, or whatever the hippies are doing these days.
Well the Hawkeyes have gone from the penthouse to the outhouse. Nothing to do but keep on movin’ on.
- Alabama – Can Bert Bielema pull off a shocker this week? Probably not.
- Ohio State – Urbz is just rolling through his schedule. Nothing scary until the end.
- Clemson – The way that Florida State has tumbled, I don’t see any more road bumps for the Tigers.
- Washington – Wow. I had no idea that teams could shut down Christian McCaffery like that.
On deck – Houston, a certain khaki-wearing coached team that I still refuse to acknowledge…..
- Alabama. This season, boring gets results.
- M******n. Big matchup with Rutgers to impress the pollsters. </end sarcasm>
- Clemson. Outlasts Louisville, shows some big-time flashes on both sides of the ball that will serve them well (again) come playoff time.
- Washington nudges out Houston here because of their impressive performance against Stanford. Ok, it was a depleted Cardinal offensive line, but Chris Peterson’s squad has done it against decent competition all year.
Next up: Ohio State, Houston.