Perhaps you’ve heard of the “beer mile,” where participants drink a full-sized beer and then run a quarter mile four times over. It’s a competitive event, sure, but not one I’d suggest doing during the hot August heat in South Bend, Ind.
Fall camp under Brian Kelly usually opens in the first week of August, which is great if you’re not happening to reach legal drinking age soon thereafter. So let’s pour one out for senior TE Durham Smythe, junior RB Justin Brent, junior S Drue Tranquill and junior DE Jay Hayes who will be turning 21 between Aug. 9 and Aug. 16 this year. (Incidentally, Smythe was born on the day Jerry Garcia died.)
Here are some other facts about the Notre Dame football team, some stranger than others:
- The most popular day to be born among scholarship players is Wednesday. The least popular day is Sunday.
- The most popular month to be born was October – 11 players. The least popular was February, May and November – three each.
- Four of the players born in October were born on a Wednesday – junior OL Jimmy Byrne, sophomore NG Brandon Tiassum, sophomore S Nicco Fertitta and freshman WR Kevin Stepherson.
- Six players will have game this year on their birthdays: OL Hunter Bivin & LB James Onwualu (vs. Texas); Stepherson (vs. Syracuse); OL Colin McGovern & RB Josh Adams (vs. Miami); and TE Jacob Matuska (vs. Navy).
- The Notre Dame football team went 5-0 on days their players were born, beating Washington twice and Vanderbilt, Navy and Michigan once apiece.
- There’s a whopping 2,025 days difference between the team’s oldest player (OL Mark Harrell, 23) and its youngest (LB Jonathan Jones, 17).
- Harrell is the team’s lone 23 year old. There are three 22-year-olds, 16 21-year-olds, 17 20-year-olds, 21 19-year-olds, 21 18-year-olds and 2 17-year-olds.
Freshman DE Ade Ogundeji is likely the only player on the team whose shoe size (18) is higher than his age (17).
- Harrell, a fifth year senior, is older than 6th year safety Avery Sebastian.
- DL John Montelus is the youngest senior on the team. He won’t be 21 until September. Sophomore K Justin Yoon is 29 days younger than Montelus.
- WR Corey Holmes is the oldest junior on the team. He’s already 21. TE Tyler Luatua is the youngest junior; there are nine sophomores older than him.
- DT Micah Dew-Treadway is the youngest sophomore. He’s 18 and there are six freshman older than him.
- S Spencer Perry is the oldest freshman. He’s 19.
- Players who share the same exact birthdate (day, month & year): Bivin & Onwualu; junior OL Alex Bars & Montelus; junior OL Quenton Nelson & NG Peter Mokwuah; Luatua and sophomore CB Nick Coleman; sophomore QB Brandon Wimbush & long snapper John Shannon; freshmen WR Chase Claypool & S Jalen Elliott.
- Yoon was born four days after O.J. Simpson was found not guilty of double murder.
- Freshman S Donte Vaughn was born on the same day that musician John Denver died.
- Wimbush and Shannon lived on the same Earth as comedian Chris Farley for just one day.
- The Drudge Report gains national notoriety after breaking news of President Bill Clinton’s affair with intern Monica Lewinsky. The Eichenberg family welcomes their son Liam the following day.
- Freshman S Devin Studstill and J.K. Rowling’s second Harry Potter novel, “Harry Potter & The Chamber of Secrets” emerged on the same day.
Thanks to Blue & Gold Illustrated’s fall preview for the birthdates of most Notre Dame players.
- In Kelly-Harbaugh Recruit Fight, It’s Tied - January 19, 2017
- Catching Up With Matt Fortuna (Part 2) - January 6, 2017
- Catching Up With Matt Fortuna - January 5, 2017