With the advent of the College Football Playoff in 2014, we — the Elvii of college football — have joined together to present our weekly playoff nominations to keep the selection committee honest. We call it the T.C.B. Poll.
Playoff Rankings: Week 4
Each week, the T.C.B. Poll is an aggregate of all our inputs. Scroll down to see individual selections and opinions — this is how we’d like to see the College Football Playoff if we had to narrow the field *right now* to determine a national champion. Images courtesy The Helmet Project.
|2||xxx||Michigan State||4-0||+ 1|
Also receiving votes: Notre Dame, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, LSU.
TCB Committee Member Comments
No changes from last week.
- The Ohio State – Until you lose your crown, you remain #1
- TCU – Week 12 vs. Baylor gonna be fun
- Michigan State – consistency is King with the Spartans
- LSU – two words, one person: Leonard Fournette. All praise him now.
Wait… Is the season not over yet? Hrmph. Guess I’ll put some pants on and see if there’s still beauty in the world.
- Ohio State – Now they enter the meat of their season vs… Indiana?
- The SEC Champion (Texas A&M) – Nope. I’m not gonna pick Ole Miss. Call it a grudge against Archie Manning for leaving the Committee last year if you want, but there’s no way Ole Miss wins the SEC West, much less, the whole conference.
- [sigh]… Michigan State – I’m only putting the Spartans here because it means they’ll turn around and lose to Purdue next week.
- Oklahoma – I don’t feel great about this pick, but I just don’t think TCU makes it. Life is too cruel. I know this because I’m an Auburn fan.
Conference time! Okay so the other Elvii have already played their conference game, now the Big Ten finally steps into the mix. The Hawkeye Elvis Top 4 is All Shook Up as a new team enters the mix.
- Ohio State – This feels like a team that doesn’t blow you out, just calmly and methodically beats you and all of the sudden you look up and they’ve won by 20.
- Michigan State – Sure you might get to hang around with this team for a quarter or two, but that defense will ultimately slam the door on you.
- Georgia – They are the one team in the SEC that I can’t nit-pick right now. If they can get past Alabama this weekend (and I think they will) they have a clear path to the playoffs.
- Notre Dame – This is most trustworthy team for the last spot right now. Big 12? I don’t believe you TCU, Baylor or Oklahoma. Pac-12? Same here. The Irish have a chance to make our very own Irish Elvis a happy man come New Year’s Eve.
- Ohio State: I don’t know if it’s a telling statement about the B1G or the 2015 football landscape, but there’s a football game in Bloomington that could be intriguing on Saturday.
- TCU: There’s no such thing as “too many points”.
- UGA: A second SEC loss for Alabama before the calendar flips to October? Nick Saban is standing in front of his bathroom mirror whispering the name “Brian Schottenheimer” three times for good luck. Regardless, the #3 and #4 spots here are up-for-grabs next week because…
- ND: The first in a physical three-game stretch for my Irish. I don’t think a road loss Saturday eliminates them altogether from playoff contention by the year’s end, but I certainly won’t have them ranked here next week if they drop this one.