Beginning in 2014, a playoff selection committee will determine which four college football teams play for the national title. Some are skeptical of the committee, so we — the Elvii of college football — have joined together to present our weekly playoff nominations. We call it the T.C.B. Poll.
Playoff Rankings: Week 14
Each week, the T.C.B. Poll is an aggregate of all our inputs. Scroll down to see individual selections and opinions. Images courtesy The Helmet Project.
Also receiving votes: Baylor.
TCB Committee Member Comments
- Alabama – Nick Saban has a process to his program. The process is working great and without a huge upset by Missouri in the SEC Championship Game, the Tide will be the #1 team.
- Oregon – With the Heisman front runner playing great football right now, the Ducks are ready to compete for the National Title.
- TCU – I don’t see Iowa State taking them down and they seem to be a good 3rd seed
- Florida State – I have been saying all year, the defending National Champion that is undefeated deserves to be in the top 4 if not the top spot. Had Ohio State not lost their QB they might have jumped Florida State in this poll. I hope they are #4 so we can get a Saban vs. Fisher opening round match.
- Oregon – They seem to have worked out their early-season OL problems. If they trounce Arizona, they’ll likely be the #1 or #2 overall seed.
- Alabama – I don’t expect the Tide to have much trouble with Mizzou, a team that couldn’t beat Indiana at home.
- TCU – The Horned Frogs blasted Texas while Baylor struggled with Texas Tech. Head-to-head says Baylor should be here, but I honestly don’t see the Bears beating Kansas State.
- Florida State – Will lose to Georgia Tech and let Ohio State or Wisconsin slip into the #4 spot. Hilarity will ensue.
- Alabama – Lots of Head Coaching jobs out there for Kiffin. How long does he stay under Uncle Nick’s wing?
- Oregon – Speaking of wings, I’m really looking forward to the Ducks playoff opponent.
- TCU – I had earlier penalized the Frogs for a close win against an inferior opponent. I had to do the same to Baylor. Plus I think the Bears get beat by that old wizard Bill Snyder.
- Florida State – Almost losing to Florida this year should be grounds for keeping them out of the playoffs altogether.
- Florida State – Undefeated 2 years running? I can’t leave ’em off my top spot.
- Oregon – If their assistant coaching ranks are poached by vacant head coaching jobs between now & the playoff, then I’ll be nervous. For now, I still trust them (and Marcus Mariota’s efficiency) more than Lane Kiffin.
- Alabama – Their best is enough to beat anybody, but they’ve shown a startling inconsistency for long stretches during the season (longer than FSU, certainly).
- Baylor – I have to put them in here over TCU, simply because I think actual head-to-head results should matter more than numerical hypotheticals.
The TCB Poll predicted 3-of-4 teams submitted by the College Football Playoff Committee last week, who (as it turns out) gave too much credit to Mississippi State. Barring any unforeseen results in the final weekend, this should be how the playoff shakes out.