Beginning in 2014, a playoff selection committee will determine which four college football teams play for the national title. Some are skeptical of the committee, so we — the Elvii of college football — have joined together to present our weekly playoff nominations. We call it the T.C.B. Poll.
Playoff Rankings: Week 13
Each week, the T.C.B. Poll is an aggregate of all our inputs. Scroll down to see individual selections and opinions. Images courtesy The Helmet Project.
Also receiving votes: Mississippi State, Ohio State, Baylor.
TCB Committee Member Comments
LSU used to play for the Golden Boot on the last weekend of the season, now we play Texas A&M for a trophy that does not exist yet. Oh well…Top 4 going into the final week:
- Florida State – Still the defending national champs and only unbeaten should be the #1 team each season. Can the Muschamp crew pull off a miracle to take them down in the final week?
- Alabama – Iron Bowl has been pretty dramatic the last few years. I hope it continues
- Oregon – I want to see the Ducks and The Tide go head to head in the first playoff game
- Mississippi State – Egg Bowl vs. Ole Miss.
On Deck: Ohio State, Baylor and TCU
Rivalry Week is here! Throw out all the records (that work against whatever teams you’re pulling for) and get ready for the chaos.
- Oregon – Ducks never say die.
- Bama – Sure, whatever.
- TCU – If Baylor beats Texas Tech soundly, I’ll be willing to move the Bears over TCU b/c of their head-to-head… but I won’t feel good about it.
- FSU – Will Muschamp… if ever there was a time for your neurotic, bi-polar, Boom-tastic powers to produce a win Florida has no business getting on their own, it’s now. Vaya con Dios.
Well, it looks like I picked the wrong week to give up drinking. Between a close basketball loss on Friday to a ranked team and an even closer football on Saturday to a ranked team, Hawkeye Elvis has a whole Mess of Blues.My Top 4 with two weeks to go:
- Oregon – Calmly, methodically moving its way through the remainder of its schedule. Kind of like a serial killer.
- Alabama – Dear Karmic Football Gods/Deliverers of Delicious Irony, how about an improbably Auburn victory on Saturday. It doesn’t have to be as dramatic as last year, but that would be kinda neat.
- Florida State – Now the Gators beating the Seminoles this week, THAT would be hilarious.
- Mississippi State – Out goes the Big 12. Clanga’s 5-point loss at Alabama is the best of the 1-lossers.
On deck: Ohio State (how in the blue hell did they lose to Virginia Tech?), TCU (wakes up in a cold sweat at night recalling their loss to Baylor), Baylor (used up all its luck in coming back to beat TCU, none left for the WV loss).
- Florida State – I’m curious if there’s *anything* Jameis Winston could do at this point to be declared ineligible. I mean, he’s running out of shenanigans to pull.
- Oregon – Prime time road game. Easy way to lose national respect…or solidify your playoff spot.
- TCU – Will Texas make a late-season surge under Charlie Strong? Will TCU keep their offense in overdrive? Will I escape the clutches of tryptophan to watch this game?
- Alabama – Methinks the Dark Lord Saban will not leave anything to chance in this year’s Iron Bowl, but my allegiance is with Auburn Elvis.
First 3 out: Ohio State, Mississippi State, Baylor.
The TCB Poll went 3-for-4 last week in advance of the Playoff Committee rankings, with MSU making the Committee’s cut over the Elvii’s pick of TCU.