Beginning in 2014, a playoff selection committee will determine which four college football teams play for the national title. Some are skeptical of the committee, so we — the Elvii of college football — have joined together to present our weekly playoff nominations. We call it the T.C.B. Poll.
Playoff Rankings: Week 13
Each week, the T.C.B. Poll is an aggregate of all our inputs. Scroll down to see individual selections and opinions. Images courtesy The Helmet Project.
Also receiving votes: Mississippi State, Ohio State, Baylor.
TCB Committee Member Comments
LSU used to play for the Golden Boot on the last weekend of the season, now we play Texas A&M for a trophy that does not exist yet. Oh well…Top 4 going into the final week:
- Florida State – Still the defending national champs and only unbeaten should be the #1 team each season. Can the Muschamp crew pull off a miracle to take them down in the final week?
- Alabama – Iron Bowl has been pretty dramatic the last few years. I hope it continues
- Oregon – I want to see the Ducks and The Tide go head to head in the first playoff game
- Mississippi State – Egg Bowl vs. Ole Miss.
On Deck: Ohio State, Baylor and TCU
Rivalry Week is here! Throw out all the records (that work against whatever teams you’re pulling for) and get ready for the chaos.
- Oregon – Ducks never say die.
- Bama – Sure, whatever.
- TCU – If Baylor beats Texas Tech soundly, I’ll be willing to move the Bears over TCU b/c of their head-to-head… but I won’t feel good about it.
- FSU – Will Muschamp… if ever there was a time for your neurotic, bi-polar, Boom-tastic powers to produce a win Florida has no business getting on their own, it’s now. Vaya con Dios.
Well, it looks like I picked the wrong week to give up drinking. Between a close basketball loss on Friday to a ranked team and an even closer football on Saturday to a ranked team, Hawkeye Elvis has a whole Mess of Blues.My Top 4 with two weeks to go:
- Oregon – Calmly, methodically moving its way through the remainder of its schedule. Kind of like a serial killer.
- Alabama – Dear Karmic Football Gods/Deliverers of Delicious Irony, how about an improbably Auburn victory on Saturday. It doesn’t have to be as dramatic as last year, but that would be kinda neat.
- Florida State – Now the Gators beating the Seminoles this week, THAT would be hilarious.
- Mississippi State – Out goes the Big 12. Clanga’s 5-point loss at Alabama is the best of the 1-lossers.
On deck: Ohio State (how in the blue hell did they lose to Virginia Tech?), TCU (wakes up in a cold sweat at night recalling their loss to Baylor), Baylor (used up all its luck in coming back to beat TCU, none left for the WV loss).
- Florida State – I’m curious if there’s *anything* Jameis Winston could do at this point to be declared ineligible. I mean, he’s running out of shenanigans to pull.
- Oregon – Prime time road game. Easy way to lose national respect…or solidify your playoff spot.
- TCU – Will Texas make a late-season surge under Charlie Strong? Will TCU keep their offense in overdrive? Will I escape the clutches of tryptophan to watch this game?
- Alabama – Methinks the Dark Lord Saban will not leave anything to chance in this year’s Iron Bowl, but my allegiance is with Auburn Elvis.
First 3 out: Ohio State, Mississippi State, Baylor.
The TCB Poll went 3-for-4 last week in advance of the Playoff Committee rankings, with MSU making the Committee’s cut over the Elvii’s pick of TCU.
Powered by SC schadenfreude, husband to Mrs. IrishElvis (not pictured), rabble rouser. TCB.
Latest posts by IrishElvis (see all)
- Opponent Watch: Seize A Weasel Edition - September 19, 2019
- I Compared Notre Dame and Georgia Using Advanced Statistics. What I Found May Surprise You - September 16, 2019
- Opponent Watch: Tomahawk Hope Edition - September 12, 2019