Beginning in 2014, a playoff selection committee will determine which four college football teams play for the national title. Some are skeptical of the committee, so we — the Elvii of college football — have joined together to present our weekly playoff nominations. We call it the T.C.B. Poll.
Playoff Rankings: Week 9
Each week, the T.C.B. Poll is an aggregate of all our inputs. Scroll down to see individual selections and opinions.
Also receiving votes: TCU, Michigan State, Auburn, Notre Dame.
TCB Committee Member Comments
- Mississippi State
- Florida State
Each week we get a better picture of who is, and ain’t, playoff material.
- Mississippi State – Bow down to the dogs, y’all.
- Alabama (or any other 1-loss SEC West team)
- TCU – If the Horned Frogs get past West Virginia and Kansas State these next 2 weeks, they’re in for sure.
- Florida State – Struggling through half their games, FSU is probably the 10th-best team in the nation, yet with their schedule, that’s good enough for a playoff bid. I envy the other playoff team that’ll get matched against them.
There are a couple of clear-cut choices, but right now, the Magic 8-Ball says: “Ask again later”.
- Mississippi State – Sure Kentucky was moderately dangerous but did you ever really feel that Clanga wasn’t in full control? I think they are going to be the only SEC team to make it through unscathed. I can totally see everyone else in the SEC West ending with two losses. And a two-loss team from the SEC is not getting in ahead of a one-loss team from a Power Five Conference (the ACC notwithstanding).
- Florida State – Speaking of dangerous places, the Seminoles head to one on Thursday night.
- Michigan State? – I think Sparty has the clearest path (outside of FSU) with just one moderately challenging game left. I think they run the table and get a spot.
- Oregon? – Let’s say Quack for now. Again, they shouldn’t be challenged the rest of the way and already got their yearly inexplicable loss out of the way.
- Mississippi State
- Florida State
- Notre Dame
I’m keeping my top four unchanged this week. Mississippi State remains locked in at #1, and Florida State is the only other team unanimously listed.
The SEC West is about to Shake, Rattle, and Roll these next couple weeks, so I’m going to wait another week to see how that goes. Auburn Elvis’ lone vote for Alabama at #2 gets them into the Poll this week (some sort of advance reverse-jinx in preparation for the Iron Bowl, I imagine). We’ll actually get this 1-vs-4 matchup on November 15 when the Bulldogs visit Tuscaloosa. And I notice Hawkeye Elvis has ranked Michigan State over Oregon — the man laughs at on-field evidence to the contrary and does what he pleases. Waiter, I’ll have what he’s having! And a tip of the Hat to LSU Elvis for his Gameday TV time last week…with an assist by Hugh Freeze for trying out out-Miles Les Miles there at the end.
The first actual College Football Playoff Committee results will be released this evening, and we’ll get our first look at how they compare/contrast with Elvis Groupthink. You won’t get any better college football opinions from jumpsuit-wearing pundits than you will right here every Tuesday. Oh, and if you want to see what an eight-team playoff would look like, the “Also Receiving Votes” category would make for a pretty intriguing slate of games.
Powered by SC schadenfreude, husband to Mrs. IrishElvis (not pictured), rabble rouser. TCB.