Beginning in 2014, a playoff selection committee will determine which four college football teams play for the national title. Some are skeptical of the committee, so we — the Elvii of college football — have joined together to present our weekly playoff nominations. We call it the T.C.B. Poll.
Playoff Rankings: Week 7
Each week, the T.C.B. Poll is an aggregate of all our inputs. Scroll down to see individual selections and opinions.
Also receiving votes: Oregon.
TCB Committee Member Comments
January 8, 1935 a very special boy named Elvis Aaron Presley was born in Tupelo, MS…not since that day has anything so great happened in Mississippi until Saturday when Mississippi State jumped to the top of the College Football Polls.
Here’s what I think is going to happen the remainder of the season and how I got to my top 4. I think Mississippi State will win the rest of their games including the Egg Bowl vs. Ole Miss and the SEC Championship vs. probably Georgia. So Mississippi State is #1. Florida State will win out the rest of their games and be #2. I also do not see Baylor losing the rest of the way and they will be #3….so the real question is who gets to be #4. With Florida St beating Notre Dame and Mississippi State beating Ole Miss there will be a host of 1-loss teams. In the first year of the College Playoff system will they put two teams from the same conference and even the same division into the top 4? I vote no.
Therefore with the SEC, ACC, and Big 12 already represented I think the Pac-12 champion will get the last spot and therefore Oregon is my #4 ranked team.
- Mississippi State
- Florida State
- Mississippi State – Is there any doubt the Bulldogs are the top dogs in college football right now?
- Baylor – This should really be “Bayloklahomansas Christian University” since it looks like you could roll a 4-sided die and pick the Big-12 Champion right now.
- The OTHER Mississippi – I’m not sold on the Rebels. Aside from losing to MSU in the Egg Bowl, this team could still lose to Auburn, Arkansas, or heck, even Tennessee.
- FSU – If the Seminoles make it into the playoffs, there’s no justice in this world.
At least the teams are making this easier for us as they whittle themselves down. The fun will start when we have to figure out the best 1-loss team. All hail our new football overlords from the Magnolia State. (Sorry Auburn Elvis).
- Mississippi State – I bet if I told you that the Bulldogs would be the top team come mid-October you would havCLANGACLANGACLANGACLANGA
- Florida State – One last challenge for the boys from Tallahassee. Our thoughts and prayers are with Irish Elvis this week.
- Mississippi – How easy did the win over A&M look? If this team is just now hitting its stride, look out.
- Baylor – Down three touchdowns with 11 minutes left? No problem! I wouldn’t recommend doing that every week.
Yes I was suited up for our win over Indiana and made the ESPNU broadcast. Apparently, I also made the highlights over on CBS.
The College Football Elvii join forces, and the state of Mississippi finds itself the darling of the rankings? That correlation is “Too Much” to be a mere coincidence.
- Florida State – Defending national champs? Defending Heisman Trophy winner? Nation’s longest winning streak? Hard to imagine anyone beating these guys the rest of the year.
- Mississippi State – I’m swapping the Clangas in for Ole Miss because of their tougher schedule to date. I do think most of the SEC West is going to cancel one another out eventually…
- Baylor – they don’t have a defense…but boy, do they have an offense! Here’s hoping Bryce Petty stays healthy for the remainder of the season.
- Oregon – Assuming they keep their loss column clear going forward, I think they grab this fourth spot. But I’m more than happy to swap them out with Arizona based on head-to-head results.
I can’t find any other undefeated team to rank in that #4 spot, no sir…