Beginning in 2014, a playoff selection committee will determine which four college football teams play for the national title. Some are skeptical of the committee, so we — the Elvii of college football — have joined together to present our weekly playoff nominations. We call it the T.C.B. Poll.
Playoff Rankings: Week 5
Each week, the T.C.B. Poll is an aggregate of all our inputs. Scroll down to see individual selections and opinions.
Also receiving votes: Auburn.
TCB Committee Member Comments
Laissez les bons temps rouler! (Let the good times roll!) Time for the first Elvii matchup of the year as the LSU Fighting Tigers roll into Auburn to face the Auburn Tigers. Elvis ended his 1968 Comeback special with the song “If I Can Dream” and I will be dreaming all week to come out of Auburn with a win, any way we can get it. Top 4 for the LSU Elvis…
- Oregon – ducks seem to be the in pond with no other animals that can keep up
- Florida State – I still have them at #2 but they seem like they want to give up the chance at back to back title each week
- Oklahoma – can TCU get the upset….probably not but at least it is a top 25 matchup
- Alabama – Tide vs. the Rebels. Who to cheer for and who will win? Elvis was born in Mississippi but I feel like Nick Saban would make a fine Colonel Tom Parker by keeping 50% of all my profits…Bama will prevail
Well, all of my picks looked great and really excelled in their bye weeks. THAT’s how you pick teams, folks. I hope everybody’s gonna tune in 7PM Eastern, to see the first battle of the Elvii this Saturday, when LSU visits Auburn. Sadly, I won’t be there in the stands, but that just means y’all get the benefit of my clever tweets during the game.
- Oregon – I expect the Ducks to pound Arizona, who only beat an average Cal team due to a poorly-defended, last-second Hail Mary.
- Alabama – [sigh] I have to admit that even Lane Kiffin can’t screw up when he’s working with all the weapons Nick Saban’s given him. Tide’s gonna roll over Mississippi and Dr. Bo.
- Oklahoma – I expect TCU will befuddle the Sooners for a half, but then that big, red wagon will just roll in the second.
- Auburn – Once Gus Malzahn finishes evaluating the plays Auburn can run consistently, the offensive production will stabilize. I expect that to occur in the second half vs. LSU.
- Alabama – This week ought to be REAAAAALLY interesting as the Tide Rolls into the Grove. Best game of the week.
- Oregon – The Ducks get a firm test from a crazy Wildcat squad. If this game were in the desert, I would worry for Puddles. But it’s not.
- Oklahoma – That Sooners/Baylor Bears game will be fun to watch.
- Auburn? Sure why not War Eagle. Nobody wants the 4th playoff spot. Florida State is going to get beat. I’m not sure if A&M can survive the SEC West. Tiger on Tiger action Saturday night on the plains. And unfortunately, that means Elvis versus Elvis. You boys play nice.
Hawkeye Elvis is off this week to head down into the Jungle Room and watch all those games on my 3 TVs.
I keep my top 4 the same this week, but a new order (and also new teams) are a near certainty next week.
- Oregon – really, Quacks? Wazzou? Be happy that was the late game and no one on the East Coast was watching
- Oklahoma – I still think they have the easiest road to an undefeated season & a playoff lock
- Florida State – they still look *super* shaky, but they’ve outlasted two top-30 teams and are perfect in the loss column
- Auburn – I’m predicting a Tiger victory when Auburn plays LSU (ah, but aren’t both mascots Tigers? Exactly). The Elvii are caught in a trap & can’t walk out of this matchup…