Beginning in 2014, a playoff selection committee will determine which four college football teams play for the national title. Some are skeptical of the committee, so we — the Elvii of college football — have joined together to present our weekly playoff nominations. We call it the T.C.B. Poll.
Playoff Rankings: Preseason
Each week, the T.C.B. Poll is an aggregate of all our inputs. Scroll down to see individual selections and opinions.
Also receiving votes: Michigan State, Auburn, Ohio State.
TCB Committee Member Comments
- Florida State – Coming off last year’s National Championship performance it does not look like Jimbo Fischer and crew will be slowing down. Heisman winner Jameis Winston looks to have all the off-the-field issues settled (at least for now) and can focus all his attention on football and maybe a little school work too.
- Alabama – It is Alabama and it is Nick Saban. There need not be more said than that. Unless something dramatic happens they will be competing in the first college football playoff come the end of the year.
- Oklahoma – Riding high after their impressive win over Alabama in the Sugar Bowl, Coach Stoops has the Sooners playing hard, tough football. They should do well this year.
- Michigan State – Moves into my #4 preseason slot with the loss of Braxton Miller of Ohio State. Who is there to stop the Spartans in the Big Ten? Traveling to Oregon in week two will determine if Michigan State stays at #4 in the polls or jumps out.
Week 1 Elvis fact of the week: Of my top 4 teams and their cities of Tallahassee, Tuscaloosa, Norman, and East Lansing, Elvis played the most concerts in Tuscaloosa, AL with 3 shows from 1971-1976.
- FSU – Reigning Champion; returns tons of talent; should make it through ACC schedule undefeated.
- Oregon – Strong team; will advance from the Pac-12 (I’m not sold on UCLA)
- Auburn – Returns most of last year’s runners-up team; loaded on offense; tough schedule, but I believe they’re up to the task
- Ohio State – Even without Braxton Miller, I think they win the B1G and sneak into the playoff
- Florida State – They are the kings until someone knocks them off. Or until Jameis steals some more crab legs and ends up doing the Jailhouse Rock.
- Alabama – Best of the SEC….for now. LSU Elvis is hoping they get sent to the Heartbreak Hotel on November 8th.
- Oregon – Somebody out there has to become Oregon Elvis. They could even make a jumpsuit out of some of the Ducks different uniform combos.
- Oklahoma – Out of my pre-season Top 4, Bob Stoops is the coach most likely to don a sequined jumpsuit.
Preseason polls are a bit like substitute teachers: they’re there to eat up space & time, they’ll allow some shenanigans to slide, and they’ll be replaced by the real deal in fairly short order. So I cast my preseason ballot for Florida State, Alabama, Oregon, and Michigan State.