Each week in this space, we examine two things: Notre Dame’s strength of schedule (from USA Today‘s Sagarin rankings), and who Irish opponents are facing. For those of who want to scout future opponents, I’ll give you my recommendation for who to watch when you’re not watching Notre Dame Football.
Who To Watch
Stanford (1-0) at USC (1-0) (Sat 10:30PM ET, ESPN)
There may not be too much offense in this one, as both season starters were knocked out of last week’s game — literally, in K.J. Costello’s case. For USC, JT Daniels is gone for the year with a collapsed knee, which will likely result in either a true freshman under center or, in the case of Jack Sears, someone who dropped his name in the transfer portal before the season starts (surely endearing himself to the locker room should he ultimately return).
So this may be a defensive battle, or it may simply be two offenses gumming one another to a pulp as much of the fall camp work is now moot. Fans tuning in #Pac12AfterDark situation may experience some initial disappointment, replaced instead with something that will soothe you gently to sleep after a full day of college football.
Other Upcoming Opponents
- Virginia (1-0) vs William & Mary (Fri 8:00PM ET, ACC Network)
- Virginia Tech (0-1) vs Old Dominion (Sat 12:00PM ET, ESPNU)
- Michigan (1-0) vs Army (Sat 12:00PM ET, Fox)
- Bowling Green (1-0) at Kansas State (Sat 12:00PM ET, )
- Boston College (1-0) vs Richmond (Sat 3:30PM ET, ACC Network)
- Duke (0-1) vs North Carolina A&T (Sat 4:00PM ET, ACC Network)
- Georgia (1-0) vs Murray State (Sat 4:00PM ET, ESPN2)
- Louisville (0-1) vs Eastern Kentucky (Sat 7:00PM ET, ACC Network)
Schedule Strength Ranking
Last week, Notre Dame’s 2019 opponents went 9-3 (75% win rate) with an average schedule strength of 85.
|40||Virginia Tech||0-1||↑ 19|
|54||Boston College||1-0||↑ 1|
|65||Southern Cal||1-0||↓ 24|
|80||Notre Dame||1-0||↓ 49|
|156||New Mexico||1-0||↓ 75|
|228||Bowling Green||1-0||↓ 0|