With the advent of the College Football Playoff in 2014, we — the Elvii of college football — have joined together to present our weekly playoff nominations to keep the selection committee honest. We call it the T.C.B. Poll.
Playoff Rankings: Week 13
Each week, the T.C.B. Poll is an aggregate of all our inputs. Scroll down to see individual selections and opinions — this is how we’d like to see the College Football Playoff if we had to narrow the field *right now* to determine a national champion. Images courtesy The Helmet Project.
Also receiving votes: Michigan State.
TCB Committee Member Comments
LSU Elvis picks….things seem to be shaping up for the end of the year playoffs…will there be a final week upset? I only hope things happen for a little shake, rattle and roll at the top!
Does Iowa have a shot? Will the Tar Heels bring balance to the Force and take down Clemson? All I know is, I had a nice Thanksgiving and unlike a lot of college coaches right now, I’m gainfully employed.
- Bama – This spot no longer will go to the SEC Champion. Florida has become so miserable since losing their quarterback, only Bama can advance from the SEC. And they will.
- B1G Champion (Michigan State) – I’m pulling hard for the Hawkeyes, but boy the Spartans look tough.
- ACC Champion (Clemson) – I’m hoping the Other Tigers go down in flames, but until they do, they’re in.
- Oklahoma – Putting the Sooners in over Stanford does two things: it throws the Big 12 a bone for last year’s snub, and it upsets Notre Dame and Buckeye fans, which is always rewarding.
Wow. I really didn’t think the day would come when I could legitimately include my Iowa Hawkeyes in the TCB Top Four. But that day is here and I can’t wait to see how long we can keep it going. Gotta follow that dream.
- Clemson – Did the Tigers show some vulnerability on Saturday? Was it enough for the Tar Heels to take advantage this week?
- Alabama – If they don’t absolutely murder/death/kill Florida this weekend I will be shocked.
- Oklahoma – Man, I bet the Sooners would love to have that game against Texas back.
- Iowa – One game to go to seal the Big Ten Conference Championship and more importantly, a trip to the playoffs.
On deck: Michigan State (can take Iowa’s spot with a win), Ohio State (Buckeyes are the biggest UNC and Florida fans on earth right now)
No TCB lightning bolts this week — everyone had Clemson & Alabama pegged for the College Football Playoff Committee, but no Elvis foresaw the Committee’s choice of Oklahoma & Iowa in the 3-4 spots, a decision that was vindicated by last Saturday’s results.
- Clemson (47) – Most difficult schedule of the unbeatens. Take a bow, Other Tigers.
- Iowa (62) – I think Michigan State is the next team in if the Hawkeyes falter in Indianapolis, but Iowa is this year’s Cinderella team for sure.
- Alabama (5) – A Florida victory would seem to indicate a playoff with zero SEC teams. Darth Saban and the SEC referees will ensure this does not come to pass.
- Oklahoma (20) – They appear to be following the 2014 Ohio State method: lose early and then get better as the season wears on. If any of the other three teams slip on conference championship weekend, they can nudge higher.
Other one-loss teams (with schedule strength in parentheses) – MSU (53), OSU (61), UNC (63), Houston (95).