Folks, we need to talk about the future of the #HLSRecap. To be blunt, it looks bleak. I’m honestly not sure if it will make a return for the 2018 season.
Storify, the platform we use to power the #HLSRecap, will pull the plug on May 16, 2018. Unfortunately, the Adobe overlords that now oversee the platform plan to bundle “Storify 2” into their Livefyre premium services. You may recall a brief period of time when Livefyre powered the comments here, until that too got the premium bundle treatment.
Simply put, I cannot justify an investment into Livefyre at this time for a feature we only run a few times a year. While we will look for another platform that we can use, I’m not overly confident that I will be able to find one as easy to use as Storify, especially for the volume of tweets we like to pump in.
The Citrus Bowl could very well be the swan song for the #HLSRecap. I want to go out in a big, glorious clusterfuck that only the #HLSRecap can.
So here’s what we’re gonna do:
- If you want to partake, hit me up on Twitter via mention or DM, or use the hashtag #HLSRecap to volunteer your favorites as tribute. We will include all of them.
- The only editing I plan to do is ordering the favorited tweets by time (oldest to newest). I don’t care if Tweets are duplicated or you managed to favorite something from another game or another topic–it’s staying.
- That being said, I will do a quick sanity check through favorited tweets before I add them. If there’s something just absurdly vile in there (e.g. violent, racist, sexist, etc. type bullshit), it’s all getting tossed. Note: I don’t expect this to happen.
In short, I want to make this the largest, most insane, and completely incoherent mess as possible. If this truly is the swan song for something that’s brought us this much joy, I can think of no better way to send it out.
Bonus points if we manage to completely crash the Storify servers in the process.
In the meantime, while we look for another avenue to potentially salvage this thing, we will work on archiving and preserving previous recaps before the May deadline. And if the recap truly is sent to the great Twitter 404, maybe we’ll resurrect something like the Recap Madness as a final eulogy…
But until then, when it comes to the #HLSRecap, winter is coming.
- Masks Are Back, Plus New Designs Benefiting Charity! - June 18, 2020
- Notre Dame Father’s Day Gift Giveaway - June 3, 2020
- Questionable Morality - May 27, 2020