It has returned.
Yes, it is later than usual, but the #HLSRecap, an HLS staple since 2012, has undergone quite a few changes. Irish Elvis has graciously devoted his time to meticulously perfecting the recap. He has created multiple curated lists of tweeps that have been in prior recaps/have complained for inclusion.
Elvis, however, now has a little baby girl, so the focus this monumental task requires just won’t be happening this season.
However, we at HLS refused to let this die. So we came up with a plan to try to split the load. A few members of the HLS staff toss in some of Elvis’ painstakingly curated lists and, mixed with our own timelines, submitted our favorites throughout the game. I was able to come up some fancy web magic to have all of this dumped into a single shared spreadsheet.
The result: 563 tweets to go through. Basically, we created #HLSRecap Skynet. I have no idea how Elvis did this on his own.
After watching every single “I bet this will make it quick” idea go up in flames on Sunday and Monday, I reverted back to good ‘ol Storify (pray for their hamsters). After dealing with the joy that is Twitter smacking major rate limits on Storify for the past 24 hours, I have found success.
Just so you know my rhyme & reason for my picks, here is what I did (and how you can get in):
- If multiple staff members favorited a tweet, it was basically in unless it just made no sense at all
- To keep with our previous recap spirit, I did limit tweets with cursing (but I may have purposefully let a couple slip through)
- Jokes, puns, pictures, and general hilarity tended to find their way in more often than not
- I tried my best to include a wide variety of people and we will see how good I was once the stats are tallied later this week
- The main idea was to tell a story of the game, hopefully I have achieved that
We will still do our fun Top 25 and dole out T.R.O.L.L. points later, but for now, bask in the glory that was Notre Dame smoking Texas: