I love stats. Stats are cold hard facts that aren’t subject to human bias or opinion. Sure, you can spin some numbers to show almost anything, but as long as it favors Notre Dame it’s good enough for me. Here’s some pretty unique stats that should have the Irish feeling pretty good about the BCS National Championship:
Note: Most of these stats come from the wonderful world of Twitter — with several coming from the fantastic ESPN Stats & Information.
– Notre Dame has not allowed a TD drive of more than 75 yards the entire season.
– In 6 road/neutral games (360 mins), Notre Dame has trailed for only 48 seconds — down 3-0 at Oklahoma
– Notre Dame held five teams to over 20 PPG LESS than they scored vs all others.
– 3 games against current Top 10 teams, Alabama has a -6 turnover margin; in other 10 games, Tide had +19 turnover margin.
– Notre Dame is 6th team to make BCS Title Game after losing 4+ games previous year; previous 5 all won the title.
– Only two national championship games in the past have had double-digit spreads — Ohio State was a huge underdog to Miami in 2002 and Oklahoma was supposed to get crushed by Florida State in 2000 — in both instances, the underdog won the game.
– Notre Dame has allowed 10 TDs (9 by defense) in 2012, fewest in a single season in FBS since 2000.
– Brian Kelly would be 5th ND coach to win National Championship in the poll era. Previous 4 won in their 3rd year. Kelly is in his 3rd year.
– In goal-to-goal situations Notre Dame has allowed -5 total yards on 39 plays this season.
– Notre Dame vs Alabama is the 9th matchup in BCS era between a coach with national title and one without. 7 of previous 8 matchups were won by the coach without a title.
4 more days…Go Irish.
Powered by Sidelines