I just got done with a run this evening, and for the first time in months, the air wasn’t trying to kill me. It wasn’t 95 degrees after sunset. It wasn’t 45000% humidity. And there wasn’t the smell of dead… something… emanating from the nearby metro stop. To me, that signified a shift, and it got me thinking about a lot of coming shifts. There’s the shift in seasons, as we turn the corner in August from sweltering heat to probably more sweltering heat with a dose of hope for relief in September. There’s the shift in expectations practically everyone has for the 2011 Irish Football program, having staved off a near-depression in the late fall of 2010 to rally in a way that’s got lots of folks feeling nervously bullish about 2011. But there’ll be very little shift in our approach to the 2011 Pre-Season Irish Blogger Gathering, administered by Subway Domer as always. Below, we’ll pose 5 questions to our fellow IBGers (and the ND fan community at large). Then we’ll sit back, relax, and await the participants to post their answers up on their own sites. When we catch wind of answers being posted, we’ll let y’all know by linking to their answers here on HLS. By now y’all should be as familiar with this as you are with the typical hot read for a boundary corner blitz in a Brian Kelly offense. Got it? Good. Let’s get started!
1. Go to youtube, pick a song that a) applies to your life in some way and b) will serve as the unofficial 2011 Fighting Irish Football Anthem. Extra points if you entirely avoid any band with members born in Ireland. Disqualification for any use of Freekbass. Embed the video for that song in your answers and explain why it’s so fitting under both qualifications A and B.
2. Now that you’ve got your unofficial anthem rocking the home office, predict the single biggest play, positive or negative for the Irish, that will occur this season in a Notre Dame football game. Color this prediction with situation, players involved, opposing team, and even weather conditions. It’s the pre-season. Let’s see what your imaginations are doing.
3. I’m a fan of the cinematic hit, “Kicking and Screaming.” I know, it’s a film you all love too. So naturally we’d all like to re-live that moment when they’re playing “Would You Rather.” So let’s do so: Would you rather suffer a humiliating loss to Michigan this year, or a humiliating loss to Southern Cal? Why? And stop eyeing that chicken across the street, perv.
4. Great teams require leadership, and with Notre Dame being the only truly national college football program in the country, a great Notre Dame football team requires national leaders. So pick one. Name a player on the Irish roster in 2011 who will lead the nation in a particular, official NCAA category. Also specify how much he’ll lead the nation by indicating his national rank in that category. Note: You must be predicting this leader to finish at least as high as 10th in the nation in your chosen category. Bonus Points: Don’t pick David Ruffer – the best player on the Irish Roster.
5. You’ve already done more parsing of Brian Kelly’s words than is healthy since he first took a podium in this pre-season. What’s the single most surprising thing he’s said in that time?
Alright, that ought to about do it. If you don’t have your own ND Football Blog, first, let me say, why not? They let anyone have one. Just look at the guys we’ve got involved in this gathering thing. And second, I invite you to share your own thoughts in our comments section below or go ahead and start a thread on our Sideline forum. Thanks, and Go Irish!